Russ Andrews taken to task over his advertising claims

Subjects that don't have their own home
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#1 Russ Andrews taken to task over his advertising claims

Post by Toppsy »

Seems the ASA have upheld a complaint by a memebr the public that some of the claims made by our revered Russ Andrews cannot be substantiated and the complaint has been upheld.

http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudications ... _44177.htm

EDIT OK in the light of Nick's comment I've removed the SMILEY.
Last edited by Toppsy on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Before we get to excited and add extra smileys, the following seems to be the crux of the decision, and it could remove just about any HiFi advert.

"He said, in the field of audio, the ABX test method was well established and probably one of the most commonly used."
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

At last. :wink:

Yes Nick, 'commonly used' is also misleading but we know the RA claims border on the fanciful. Never has he actually proved any of it.

EDIT. And yes it could apply to the whole of the Hi-Fi industry 'claims'
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Its the invocation of ABX that worries me though Neal.

I would bet £50 that in a "properly conducted ABX test" you couldn't detect a difference between the before and after you have just done to your DAC
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Indeed Nick, you would probably win that bet. I think they are constructed in such a way as to remove any possibility of detecting a difference which, as you say, is a 'thin ice' point for the ASA to base their ruling on.

The lack of test evidence for the claims made by RA (and the rest of the industry for that matter) is the disturbing point, perhaps this will serve as a wake up call for the rest of the industry.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Surely the evidence is in the listening.

I'm not going to pass judgment on RA's claims as I've never heard them.

But if this ruling stands it could open problematic doors for other manufacturers and eventually lead to many products disappearing altogether.

That may or may not be such a good thing for the rest of us if everything has to be measured and quantified.

We all know that we should believe in what we hear regarding HiFi rather than than what is written.

Personally for me nothing comes better than previous customer recommendations when deciding whether to but a particular product or to look elsewhere.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Neal, did you get my email? D day tomorrow :wink:
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Yes, thanks Darren, looking forward to it!

Re RA, I think when a company states a specific effect IE lowering the noise floor in Hi-Fi equipment then that should be measurable and be able to be backed up. The subjective part is if lowering the noise floor improves the sound but I don't think that was the basis of the complaint...
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yes Neal, you see my point, I agree that snake oil needs to have no place in the market, but it becomes a problem if its the thin end of the wedge.

As you say, ABX seems to ensure negative results, and that way lies "any competent amplifiers will sound the same" and "all CD players sound the same", then you get the "values are just effects boxes" and then "vinyl has no place in modern audio".
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Surely the evidence is in the listening.
You and me may think that Darren, but trust me, if someone advocates the use of ABX then the listening is taken to have absolutly no validity as evidence.