Loony Ventures

Subjects that don't have their own home
Andrew
Eternally single

#1 Loony Ventures

Post by Andrew »

the mad bugger will be suggesting balanced LCR phono stages, amps made of valves the size demi-johns or some other equally loony venture. :wink:
Where do I sign up? :D
Well as for loony ventures, I been think recently about using these for a phono PSU, 12 in series, re-charge in parallel, using a car charger, et viola "never connected".

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrical-P ... kw/battery

-- Andrew
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I still have the smoking remains of a phono that used 3 X 12volt accumulators. It worked well when it worked but some peeps who talk of using batteries say they often have a dead or dull sound - I wonder... how much AC do we really need?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yes, I can't help wondering why batteroes would be considered a good power source. Ok, low ripple, and no mains induced RFI, but I would have thought by their nature batteries would have a rapidly rising impedance with frequency. I guess you could avoide some of that by having a good cap in parallel with them.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Samantha
User

Post by Samantha »

From my limited knowledge, I would also add the fact that they will deteriorate during use and cannot react fast enough to the draw on them - so I concur, I do not understand why people consider them a good power source.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

I've not seriously tried it apart from a deviation to power the motor to my previous Michell Gyro, but those that use this system may well keep the battery under constant charge...do they not?
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Well a phono's current demand doesn't vary al lot with the music, but the rising impedance may well be responsible for the dry and grey sound.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#7 Re: Loony Ventures

Post by simon »

Andrew wrote:Well as for loony ventures, I been think recently about using these for a phono PSU, 12 in series, re-charge in parallel, using a car charger, et viola "never connected".
Mental note to self, don't get talked in to this one at Owston. :lol:
Last edited by simon on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
Eternally single

#8 Re: Loony Ventures

Post by Andrew »

Mental note to self, don't get talked in to this one at Owston. :lol:
Now are you saying I've been known to talk you into any other loony ventures? :roll: :wink:
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Not at all Andrew, but I think this one would send me (and Sue) over the edge!