Colin's gm70 Boat Anchor monoblocs

What people are working on at the moment
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Paul Barker wrote:Back before you came on "the scene" (of balding overweight middle aged and above anorachs) Excludes Nick and Dave with all that enviable hair.

so your talking about me while i've been away on holiday...

its funny because i genuinely think of myself as a bit of an anorak..

good amp colin and nick.. i'll be looking forward to the next witham meet..

steve
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

If anybody wants a cutting service I can accommodate Stainless Steel, or any other metal/material as long as you provide a proper drawing. Pref in CAD format.
Thats very nice to know.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Just to add to that, no need to keep it to simple circles or slots.

As fancy as you like, even your name if you want it. But I was thinking more of cooling patterns etc.

The costs are materials X cutting time in min. The machine is fast btw, so don't panic.

So if you want 3mm Stainless or 100mm thick, no worries. We can do it.

One offs would be a tad expensive, but not outrageous. As with most things the more the merrier, ie the unit cost comes down.

With some imagination you could get quite fancy, full cnc milling and turning available as well. But this can be expensive for one offs.

Best wishes
Darren
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

When I first met Steve he looked a 100 years younger.

Women, I was in a house conscerning a gas fire with two women today, it was as plain as day the wrinkly was the mother, but while the daughter was out of the room I applied my usual charm. "You're her mother? I thought you were sisters" soon as daughter comes back mother blurts it out so instead of flattering one woman leaving the other's ego unaffected which I planned, I had one woman with an inflated ego and another looking like a puppy that has been taken off it's mother.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

A normal day for PB...
" Hey laydeez...wanna come round and see my big amps sometime..."
:D
DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

That's the one skater boy :wink:

ps my apprentice is a skater, but I can't really picture him on one. He has the bum for it (top of trousers half way down his thigh).

He really is completely useless, the other day Ian (also corgi registered) sent him to cap off cold feed in loft, bear in mind he's been with me a year and those who know me will know that means he's had a chance at the best possible education going I explain everything in minute detail to how it all works. He came back down saying he couldn't find the tank. Ian could reach the tank from the step ladders. Same day I asked him to open a flat door handing him a key ring with only three keys. "I can't open it""One of those keys fits Nick" "oh right, and hay presto he opens door.

Now when I'm working in a place I have masses of stuff going through my head and I could do with not being disturbed with stupid questions by loafers who can't even try each of three keys to open a door.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#67 CNC cutting

Post by Toppsy »

Hi Darren,

Wish I'd known this when I was hand drilling and filing out all the holes and openings in those copper plate tops. Would have saved me a good weeks work. Just need to get AutoCad loaded on my spare IBM PC.

I'll certainly bear this in mind for any future projects/builds.

Nice one :wink:

Colin
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

What you did that neat a job hand drilling? You must have way more patience than me.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Agreed with Paul, I can't imagine hand drilling all those holes and I have loads of patience in the machine shop...

Your effort now looks all the more impressive with that knowledge !!!
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

My wife keeps telling me patience is a virtue, and these things did tax mine hence why each top plate took me a week. With over 200 holes in total I think the marking out the plates by hand took nearly as long as the drilling.

I'll certainly be in touch Darren for some CNC machining in the future.

Darren, can you CNC cut hardwoods like OAK and MAPLE? Now that would save me some time and patienece.

Colin
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Umm, not sure what the finish would be like, but only as we have never tried it with wood as as yet. Just metals and plastics to date.

Can't see why not? Only one way to find out?
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

These are CNC'd from solid billet and this is the finish. But wood is a very different material.

http://www.slatedeck.com/turntables/Ton ... edeckRiser
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

very impressive.

Thinking about it for wood one would probabley require CNC routing rather than lazer cut. I wonder who Peter C uses for his CNC cut speaker cabinets?

As you say only one way of finding out.

Let us know if you try any experiements. Could lead to another feather in your crown offering bespoke CNC machined hifi furniture, components racks and small tables for mounting decks on.................

Colin
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Hurray :) :) :)

The repaired Tentlabs unit just arrived in this mornings post.

So providing no further hitches I should be able to fire up both monoblocs up tonight and listen in stereo.

Can't wait.

Colin :D
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Toppsy wrote:
Thinking about it for wood one would probabley require CNC routing rather than lazer cut. I wonder who Peter C uses for his CNC cut speaker cabinets?

Colin
Ask Clive, I think he had someone do his speakers on a CNC.

cheers,

-- Andrew