Common Mode Chokes

What people are working on at the moment
Andrew
Eternally single

#1 Common Mode Chokes

Post by Andrew »

Nick suggested using a CMC in the PSU for the LCR, but it was late at Owston, I was tired and coming down with something 'flu like.

I bunged some in a order from Rapid and I'm now wondering what is the right ting to do with them..

So where in an HT supply does the panel think would be best for a CMC and how should the grounding get wired up.

I assume only one of the pins on the lower choke section is taken to real ground the other side then takes its ground reference back through the lower choke's windings? Otherwise the current would be shorted around the choke?

many thanks,

-- Andrew
Will
Old Hand

Post by Will »

Andrew this might help

The common mode choke has two windings. Each winding of the common mode choke is inserted between the end of a power line wire and the load. As in Figure 1, current "Iz" flows through both power line wires and currents "Inc1" and "Inc2" each flow through one power line wire and return through the ground path. Observe that current "Iz" flows through both windings but in opposing winding directions, while currents "Inc1" and Inc2" each flow through only one winding and in the same winding direction. The ground path does not flow through a winding.
Attachments
common-mode2.gif