The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
steve s
Shed dweller

#1261 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

pre65 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:03 am The big KTM twins have got a good reputation, our Steve might chip in with his experiences.
Apparently they are.. but I don't have any personal experience of motorcycle touring.
All my 'touring' is done in the campervan.. another 6 weeks booked aug/sept
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1262 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Max N wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:46 am Maybe a bit of a random question, but…..
If you were going to set off on a long motorbike trip, what bike would you choose?
Back when I was an active biker, it would probably have been a BMW air-cooled flat twin.
Would that still be a good option?
Or maybe something else?
As many different answers as there are different 'bikers'. Some will tell you it's got to be 1,000 cc or higher. Others, it has to be something Japanese (for relability and 'ease of use'). Yet more will insist you can do it on a moped ..... :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1263 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

And also, what would be your budget ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1264 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Ah yes, there's always that! The great leveller — what I would 'ave if I woz rich ...

:lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Baggy Trousers
User

#1265 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

ed wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:08 am
Baggy Trousers wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:56 pm Nevertheless, there were many fast bikes and fast riders about before Barbara Castle emasculated us with her bloody speed limits.
I can't help wondering what the uk roads would be like now if she hadn't emasculated them/you/us.
I think the answer must be "very different."

Traffic density is infinitely greater now; in one of my hooligan years - 1960 - there were just under 5 million vehicles registered in the UK. Now, that figure has increased to over 39 million. Then there were no limits on derestricted roads.

Another factor is that the standard of driving and general competence in vehicle handling in the intervening 60 years has dropped very substantially. I suspect this largely may be due to people now seeking to "pass the test" rather than "learning to drive" as once was the case as well as improvements in vehicle design and specifications, requiring a reduced level of skill in operation. Managed motorways and similarly infantilising introductions by governments have accelerated the dumbing-down process. A similar reduction of standards has been suffered in Germany where exceeding 150mph on a motorway remains lawful but is not nearly as safe as it was before the Trabant drivers from East Germany were allowed on the Autobahnen.

And we now have public utility planners especially drawn from the biking fraternity so that drains, manhole covers and the like can be placed exactly on the preferred line through a corner. If you miss these, there's always the potholes! So, I think, on balance, that I feel marginally safer riding under a blanket speed limit but it's nothing like the amount of fun it used to be.

Did I tell you about the time I did 75 over the Neasden bridge . . . . . .?
Last of the late brakers.
Michael L
Old Hand

#1266 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Michael L »

We're on a road trip in France and at one of the gites we stayed at it transpired the hosts and I share a love for Italian motorcycles. He had a Moto-Guzzi Le Mans and she a Ducati 600SS. They said their favourite rides were in the Pyrenees. I was more than a little envious but maybe one day.....
Our trusty steed is the Octavia - very practical, roomy and also air conditioned - its been unseasonably hot.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1267 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Trip to Essex via mostly B-roads

Champing at Stansted Mountfitchet Part One (time lapse, 30 minutes)

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1268 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Mike H wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:08 pm
That would make it 168 mph (average!) — impossible! :shock:
Wha....!? Not even on a Bantam?
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1269 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Max N wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:46 am Maybe a bit of a random question, but…..
If you were going to set off on a long motorbike trip, what bike would you choose?
Back when I was an active biker, it would probably have been a BMW air-cooled flat twin.
Would that still be a good option?
Or maybe something else?
Honda CBF125.

144mpg.

I'm cheap!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1270 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

:lol:

Champing at Stansted Mountfitchet Part Two

This time we have a look at the church and take a walk over the fields in search of Stansted Hall.

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1271 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Stansted hall is a spiritualist retreat, did you go in and get a reading ?

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1272 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

It appeared to be private! And not sure if it's that sort of 'spiritualist' ... :?
Last edited by Mike H on Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nick
Site Admin

#1273 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

Mike H wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:27 pm It appeared to be private! And not sure if it's that sort of 'spiritualist' ... :?
What other sort is there?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1274 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:27 pm It appeared to be private! And not sure if it's that sort of 'spiritualist' ... :?
Oh yes, I've been there. :)

To be fair, I took my sister there some years ago as she is into all things spiritualist and new age etc.

"Stansted or Steanstead Hall was the country seat of the Earls of Essex during the reign of Henry VIII of England. It is now owned by the Arthur Findlay College, a college of spiritualism and psychic sciences. "

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1275 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »