Zero emission road vehicles.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#466 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Ok, had a quick read, are there any problems in that doc that others can see, if not it all looks fine to me. Of course the devil may be in the detail (to use the phrase correctly).

So is there a point to this post?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#467 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

That’ll charge at a rate of about 7 miles per charge hour. I can’t see much use for it apart from extreme circumstance.
So if I did that from a typical getting home, till setting off on a typical commute. Say 8 in evening - 7 in morning, that would give 11 hours to charge, using your numbers that would give 77 miles of charge. More than enough for a typical daily commute I would have thought, then maybe the weekend to leave it on 35 hours to give another 245 miles of charge.

So not having such a car, but I would have though using a 13A socket while not ideal from cost terms would work fine.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#468 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:51 am
Just reading, but I would say that would be excluded by 3.1.a "Non-smart cables"
Thanks Nick, that seems reasonable.

With smart meters fitted after the cut off point (from 1st July 2022) would they be smart enough for Government to use the electricity usage figures to add some sort of tax ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#469 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:57 am Ok, had a quick read, are there any problems in that doc that others can see, if not it all looks fine to me. Of course the devil may be in the detail (to use the phrase correctly).

So is there a point to this post?
Just for everyone's information really.

People may not realise what efforts are being made to protect the national grid from mass instantaneous switch on of electric car chargers when cheap tariff times begin.

Edmund Burke

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#470 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by simon »

Just to agree with Nick, I have a plug in hybrid now. (Wouldn't be my choice really, I'd have stuck with the Toyota self chargers.) A full charge is between 35 and 39 miles so the car says, and takes 5.3 hours at 10A and 3.3 hours at 16A.

I can just about get to work on a full charge, with petrol and self-charge assistance and have averaged between 85mpg and 225mpg apparently. Probably says a lot about traffic conditions, weather, and how heavy my foot is. It doesn't take account of the juice from the wall as far as I can tell. I get 45 to 55mpg coming home.

At the moment it's a pain to charge on the granny cable as I need to use an extension lead. It might be rated at 13A but it's not happy with constant 10A draw as the thermal cut out kicks in after an hour or so, then I have to let the reel cool down before charging again. Takes four or five goes for a full charge. So I need to install an outdoor socket on the ring main cos I'm fed up of the faff! I can't see much point in installing a charging point at the moment - the two hour saving will probably never offset the £600 installation cost.
Nick
Site Admin

#471 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Worth mentioning that the timing and randomized start they talk about is something that has been in used for at least 20 years and I am sure a lot more with the E7 tariff.

As to the question about tax, it would seem to me that the introduction of EV tariffs themself would be sufficient to allow the government to collect tax from the supply companies. After all, you don't get taxed directly when you buy petrol, its part of the price you pay. I would imagine this will be much the same.

AFAIK, part of the goal of using smart supplies was to allow/encourage the efficient use of off peak electricity.

There seems to be fear and doubt associated with the idea of tax, not sure why TBH.
Max N
Old Hand

#472 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Max N »

simon wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:24 am At the moment it's a pain to charge on the granny cable as I need to use an extension lead. It might be rated at 13A but it's not happy with constant 10A draw as the thermal cut out kicks in after an hour or so, then I have to let the reel cool down before charging again.
Hi Simon. Just checking, are you fully unwinding the cables? Extension reels aren’t rated for full current unless unwound.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#473 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Many years ago I used a (mainly) wound up extension lead to work an immersion heater and it ended up as a melted mess ! And it tripped the circuit breaker.

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#474 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:29 am
There seems to be fear and doubt associated with the idea of tax, not sure why TBH.
It seems that there have been recent restrictions on the use of red diesel.

I heard about a sandblasting contractor that is no longer allowed to use red diesel in his mobile compressor. The compressor is towed behind his van.

Edmund Burke

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#475 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by simon »

Max N wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:24 am Hi Simon. Just checking, are you fully unwinding the cables? Extension reels aren’t rated for full current unless unwound.
Hi Max, indeed I'm not unwinding it. I could, and have 30m if spaghetti on the garage floor, but the plug in the wall socket gets hot too, and at least the thermal reset is easier to press than replacing the fuse :-(.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#476 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by simon »

Max N wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:24 am Hi Simon. Just checking, are you fully unwinding the cables? Extension reels aren’t rated for full current unless unwound.
Hi Max, indeed I'm not unwinding it. I could, and have 30m of spaghetti on the garage floor, but the plug in the wall socket gets hot too, and at least the thermal reset is easier to press than replacing the fuse :-(.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#477 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by simon »

Hi again Max, hope you didn't find my previous reply too curt, it wasn't intended.
Nick
Site Admin

#478 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:10 pm

I heard about a sandblasting contractor that is no longer allowed to use red diesel in his mobile compressor. The compressor is towed behind his van.
Not sure how what I said and what you said was connected there?
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#479 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Ali Tait »

pre65 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:10 pm

The government have stopped the use of red diesel in the construction industry. You can guess the consequences, diesel thefts have gone through the roof.
Nick
Site Admin

#480 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Yes I get that Ali and they probably justify that move in part because everyman and his dog used to misuse red diesel. It was more why Phil seemed to make a big thing about tax revenue being generated by the powering of ev's given it's the logical step if consumption of petrol starts to fall off (and how that was in any way connected to red diesel).

As an aside I note that Le Mans 24 was powered by synthetic fuel this year.