Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#376 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ta Brian, I did well in my mock exam earlier.

I followed a link from their website to help folk hear their transmissions that don't have access to VLF RX. If you go to -> http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ you can use a Dutch SDR receiver that tunes waaaaaay down low to 17.200KHz which is rather handy.

My RTL SDR dongle only goes down to about 500KHz (and up to 2.5GHz) but its been a revelation hearing whats happening across different parts of the radio spectrum, it cheaply turns your laptop into a wideband receiver and very interesting its been too.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#377 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by pre65 »

Anyone interested in watching a skilled man repairing body rust by cutting out grot and hand forming and welding in new patches ?

A swiss chap repairing the body of a Datsun 240Z.

Probably the most skilled man I've seen.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ant
Shed dweller

#378 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Ant »

Ive watched that guys videos for a while now, he is very good at what he does
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#379 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:52 pm I sit my Radio Ham Foundation exam in March 2024 :)
Good for you. :thumbleft:

I am reminded of many years ago, seeing a project in Radio Constructor I think it was, a simple valve transciever for SW, which you could build in time for an upcoming national radio ham event, can't remember what it was called. It all looked terribly exciting and exotic, kind of thing. I was much taken with the schematic and what the flip was supposed to be doing what inside it. Think it was for morse, not speech.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#380 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by jack »

I would have done mine at uni, but didn't. For years I intended to do it, and didn't.

Now they've dropped the morse requirements, I might...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
brig001
Old Hand

#381 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by brig001 »

Dave the bass wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:00 am I followed a link from their website to help folk hear their transmissions that don't have access to VLF RX. If you go to -> http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ you can use a Dutch SDR receiver that tunes waaaaaay down low to 17.200KHz which is rather handy.

My RTL SDR dongle only goes down to about 500KHz (and up to 2.5GHz) but its been a revelation hearing whats happening across different parts of the radio spectrum, it cheaply turns your laptop into a wideband receiver and very interesting its been too.
That's cool, thanks Dave, there's loads of stuff on there. Couldn't find any numbers stations on it though - I found one once when I was a kid on an old Marconi, probably on short wave, but don't remember - do remember I was fascinated by it at the time. Also, didn't know SDR was a thing, thanks
Mike H wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:13 pm I am reminded of many years ago, seeing a project in Radio Constructor I think it was, a simple valve transciever for SW, which you could build in time for an upcoming national radio ham event, can't remember what it was called. It all looked terribly exciting and exotic, kind of thing. I was much taken with the schematic and what the flip was supposed to be doing what inside it. Think it was for morse, not speech.
Hope it was simpler, and smaller than the transmitter in the video I posted :lol:

Here if you missed it:
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#382 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Dave the bass »

jack wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:46 pm
Now they've dropped the morse requirements, I might...
I did at Electronics College in 1982/3 apparently, I sat an optional RAE exam back then but I'm blowed if I can find any paperwork relating to it now. I know I didn't apply for a call sign though, I was heavily into the recently legalised CB 'scene' back then so it wasn't required anyway. I just did the optional exam and course out of interest IIRC.

Morse hasn't been a requirement of the exam since 26 July 2003 but it's still popular, in-use and encouraged by various factions in the radio world.

It's all very interesting (to me) and there's so many parallels with the world of HiFi too.

Like!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#383 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Mike H »

brig001 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:49 pm
Hope it was simpler, and smaller than the transmitter in the video I posted :lol:

Here if you missed it:
Thanks no I didn't, I've watched it twice! And I might watch it again! It was a live stream too so it's cool how commenters were posting in real time that they could receive it. Still not got my head around how the 'liquid resistors' work tho.

From there I went down a modest rabbit hole of big steam engine start-ups, which included Kempton Park, always a good one. The thing is flippin' 'ooge. And there's 2 of 'em (other's up t'other end of the hall) ...

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#384 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Here’s one for Phil…..
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#385 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by pre65 »

I did watch it, and it made me smile.

I will agree that electric cars are pollution free, at the point of use.

No more to be said in case Ray is watching and accuses me of trolling, AGAIN. :lol:

Edmund Burke

Greg
Social outcast

#386 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Greg »

pre65 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:40 pm I will agree that electric cars are pollution free, at the point of use.
Think beyond that. Nearly all my charging is at home. Supplier is Octopus. 100% Green electricity.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#387 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by pre65 »

Greg wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:20 pm
Supplier is Octopus. 100% Green electricity.
Well done, I'm on Octopus as well. :D

Is Ray watching ? :)

I'm concerned that children are being told electric cars are pollution free. No mention being made about the pollution caused by the cars and (in particular) the batteries being manufactured.

Although, it looks like future battery manufacture will be less polluting - bring it on.

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#388 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by pre65 »

A DIY build of a guitar with a 360 degree rotating neck.

Fascinating.

Edmund Burke

Neal
Shed dweller

#389 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Neal »

Greg wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:20 pm
pre65 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:40 pm I will agree that electric cars are pollution free, at the point of use.
Think beyond that. Nearly all my charging is at home. Supplier is Octopus. 100% Green electricity.
Yeah but, Greg, there’s no separate green grid so you electric may come from a ‘dirty’ source, from Octopus themselves:

It’s important to remember that when you sign up with a renewable energy supplier, we don’t pump green energy through a separate ‘green grid’ straight to your home. Instead, all energy sources – whether “green” or “dirty” – get mixed together when they’re fed through the wires that lead to your home.

100% green suppliers support green energy generators, who pump renewable energy into the grid to replace the energy that customers take out (making the ‘energy mix’ greener in the process).
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Greg
Social outcast

#390 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Greg »

Yes, I completely get/got that. Short of generating all my own electricity, I can’t do better than buy from a company that generates more green energy through solar, wind and water than it’s customers collectively consume.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)