Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#391 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Ray P »

A nice animation of a WW1 rotary aero engine build.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#392 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by pre65 »

This refers to a previous YouTube video about a whistle blower in the insurance industry, but I can't find where we discussed it.

This is a follow up with input from an independent expert.

Is It Really The End Of Old Cars? Insurance Guru Reveals The Ugly Truth.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#393 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Nick »

TBH I can't be bothered waisting 35 minutes. Can't you summarise it and give any reason why it's in any way related to reality? I don't mind watching YouTube but this looks like no fun.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#394 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by pre65 »

It's not for me to say what is interesting or relevant for you or anyone else.

ps There were a few points made by the independent "expert" which could be of interest but I'd have to watch the video again to refresh my mind (or what's left of it) :lol:

One particular point, (and it would take too long to explain why) was that classic car insurance might actually be cheaper once the majority of cars on the road have black boxes fitted as OE.
Last edited by pre65 on Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Edmund Burke

Greg
Social outcast

#395 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Greg »

I’ve not wasted my time watching it either. You keep posting links that can be little more than affirmation of a delusional disorder. A belief that our reliably recognised news sources are hiding the truth and apparently honest and enlightened YouTubers are revealing it. Whilst I acknowledge that just sometimes a buried truth can be exposed through an unusually insightful yet unqualified YouTuber, mainly, that’ll be the exception to the rule. Of course, if we lived in Russia or China, I might take a different view. Already the original ‘insurance letter’ has been discredited, although no doubt, that discreditation can also feed the delusion. Why should we believe a new source riding on the back of the original claiming, ‘that wasn’t the truth, but this is!’ Absolute bollocks.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#396 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by pre65 »

Well Greg, you have the ability, as do we all, to be selective in what you read and watch. If my choice of YouTube material offends you so much then don't watch them - simples.

I myself don't watch every video or news report linked to on the forum, I decide if it might interest me, or not, and act accordingly.

The last thing you linked to for me to read (something about rallying Teslas) I have not actually read yet. I might at some point in the future, or I might not. Whatever, I don't make a song and dance about it.

Edmund Burke

Greg
Social outcast

#397 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Greg »

Oh dear, nothing you have linked to on YouTube offends me. I’m just a little sad and disappointed that you hold them up as ‘the truth’.

Clearly you don’t read the links I post. The last one had nothing to do with rallying Teslas. I expect you haven’t read the EV myth busting articles either. That behaviour tends to support a potential for the delusional disorder I referred to. When affected by such a disorder, it is common to ignore information that challenges the delusion but rather,hooks onto that material which supports the disorder.

I find reading a broad selection of recognised and accredited news sources allows me to determine a general and overall reliable understanding.
YouTube, although often entertaining, is not for me, and I expect the majority of rational thinkers, a reliable source.

You remind me of my son. He neither listens to, watches or reads any reliable news feed. He gets all his info from Facebook and mostly, he talks absolute bollocks about the world around him. After all the years you’ve had do develop a bit of wisdom, what a shame you’ve discarded it for a load of nonsense spouted by a few nobodies on the internet.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#398 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by pre65 »

Sorry Greg, you are so far off the mark it's unbelievable.

Don't ever think that you could know me based on what you read on here.

YouTube is a wonderful source of knowledge and entertainment, and 99% of what I watch has nothing to do with News or peoples (often wrong) perception of what goes on in the world.

The example of the insurance letter, I don't think it was originally posted by me, but the follow up was, as (to me) it corrected some of the mis information in the original. I now know that because I did watch it.

It's best (in so many ways) that attempting to analyse people who post here is not the way to go, or it could happen to you. :wink: (that's not a threat by the way) :)

It's a shame, but there is a hint of "superiority complex" or "elitism" with some who post reasonably regularly, and a putting down of those who (in their not so humble opinion) are unworthy because of (for example) the paper they read or if they dare to have opinions that are alien to them.

I'm all for frank and honest discussion, but put downs (in any form) are not nice and totally unnecessary on what is a friendly forum.
Last edited by pre65 on Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Edmund Burke

Ray P

#399 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Ray P »

Sadly Greg, people like your son aren't a rarity, generally and certainly not on Facebook. I'm an occasional FB user and I cringe at some of the posts I see being made by 'Friends', who are so obviously not thinking critically and/or are just plain lazy.

As for YouTube, there's some great, really informative and entertaining, material to be had - for example I've recently found my interest in building 'Airfix' model kits rekindled and some of the build videos are inspiring and full of information and techniques - but there is also a shedload of nonsense and rubbish, that very clearly has an audience! Of course, YouTube's algorithm will feed you more of the same...

Would I allow my personal perceptions on a subject to be shaped, or make a significant purchase decision, or take legal advice or, heaven forbid, cast my vote on the strength of a nobody YouTuber video - absolutely not!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#400 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Dave the bass »

Cor!

"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#401 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Cor crikey indeed. I bet she made mine.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ray P

#402 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Ray P »

I mentioned in another post that I've got renewed interest in building plastic kit models and near the top of my list is the English Electric Lighning, one of my favourite aircraft. The Lightning was able to go supersonic in vertical flight and in pure rate of climb performance (around 50,000ft per minute) is still pretty much untouched by anything in the modern inventory.

and to put the Lightning's performance into context.

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#403 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by simon »

Dave the bass wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:08 pm Cor!

Good find Dave! They don't seem quite so expensive when you see what's involved.

Erk! Just looked and they're not £80 any more, £250+
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#404 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by jack »

Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#405 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Mike H »

Yes! :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."