Next project?

What people are working on at the moment
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

You can't join the grimsdyke ferret club if you've ever drunk a half
Not so sure of that, when we had the pub, we had a small but robust number of elderly hill farmers/tatters/horse traders/dog and ferret men that were regulars, and known by everyone in the pub. I watched them on many ocassions. They would always drink halfs (with the occasional tot on the side), and would always be within cane distance to the bar. And I realised by being there with a half, every time a younger customer came to the bar, the YC would be greeted with a "y'right lad, hows thee grandfather?" At which point the YC would be so flattered that the old legend that was sitting there knew his name, and so seeing that he was only drinking a half, would immediatley ask if they wanted a drink. At which point the answer would be "I will just have an'half lad", at this point the YC had fallen for it, and would ask if that was all, why not have a pint? (to impress the legend), at this point the second part came into play with "I can't drink more than a half lad at my age, but I'll have a nip with 'e, thanks" At which point the YC is trapped :-)

And there was the second part of the game, if the YC didn't fall for offering the drink, the half could be quickly finished, then the ritual of trying to find the cane to drag their time weathered frame to the bar, and search in their small leather purse for a few pennies. Few, if any YC's could stand this, and would immediatley offer the drink. Strangley the same old customer would walk 20 miles a day tending his "black and white horses", and when in the company of other older folk, would reveal a wad of notes that would stun a pony at 50 yards.

And if neither of the two techniques works, and they had to buy their own (assuming I didn't fall for the same trick) they only needed to pay for the next half until their next prey arrived at the bar.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Haha brilliant Nick!
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

In my student days I used to work in a local pub over the odd holiday. The place was a typical local boozer until it got "done up" to be a trendy "wine-bar". I wouldn't be surprised if you know the place, Nick, knowing roughly where you lived at the time.

Anyway, we used to get one of these "old boys" in drinking half pints at lunchtime, I found out he was only in the "trendy place" because he was barred from every other pub in the district.

Now, he was always a impeccably behaved chap, but could sink half a Guinness in less than a second if a "YC" walked in and looked like a hook...thus making sure his glass was empty....in anticipation of getting a refill.

Thanks for the story Nick you reminded me of old Jackie.

I never did find out why he was barred from all the other pubs and I don't suppose I ever will now. I'm sure he has long since gone.

-- Andrew
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

just changing the subject to something vaguely audio,

DTB came over to Chez Counter this morning armed with his MLTLs that I've bought from him,

they are my first venture into full range drivers and are very impressive,
not least because of Dave's superb build, I wish my carpentry was as good,

anyway, I've never heard such revealing speakers, you can hear a pin drop on the studio floor if it's on the recording, and the sound stage WOW, the mids and highs are really good, maybe helped by a lively room,

the only downside is that they highlight the deficits in my turntable set up,

also in his bag of goodies were his new TJ 2A3s, what a nice valve, made my 2A3Cs sound agricultural, very subtle sound from them whereas the 2A3Cs are a more in your face rock and roll type valve, I think it persuaded Mummy to let me have a pair,
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

david C wrote:

anyway, I've never heard such revealing speakers, you can hear a pin drop on the studio floor if it's on the recording, and the sound stage WOW, the mids and highs are really good, maybe helped by a lively room,

See, I told you you'd like them David, did you get the drivers as well?
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

Nice one David !! I am still WELL impressed with my MLTLs, allbeit they are slightly larger and using the 206s. I think you will enjoy them a lot. Happy listening... enjoy!! ;-)
©2020 Lee
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

Andrew wrote:
david C wrote:

See, I told you you'd like them David, did you get the drivers as well?
oh yes they were complete with them entabled 167s,
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Glad you like the new toys MrC, I must say you have a brighter sounding room than mine and they seem to suit it better too. Like I said the money from the MLTL sales goes towards some 126 based Saburo's, more boxes to be made down the shed, whahey :)

Yup, TJ 2A3's sounded sooper nice, chuffed with them. Thanks for giving me a preview of what to expect from them.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

ed wrote:I might have to edit my chrissy card list...all you chaps fessin up to drinking halves!!!!
Ah yeah but no but yeah but.... I was given the half by one of our fellows that had fallen by the wayside.

I felt it was my duty to help him out. Mates 'n' all that yet. I normally drink pints, I'm no Suvvern cocktail cowboy y'know :lol:

DTB
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Just spent dindin's time working on what was 6B4G but has now transformed into C3g->2A3. Heater TX's are in and I'm just modding the PSU by disconnecting the CC section which used to supply the 6B4G cathodes with smooth hum free DC.

Now then. I noticed I hadn't ever referenced the OV rail to mains earth, it was just floating. I've now got a 3W 10R resistor to lift the OV rail a smidge away from earth but I seem to remeber some folk fit a cap across the earth lift resistor too, I recall I had a whopping great orange drop cap across the 10R when I built WD88VA but can't remember it's value. Any ideas? Also... wossit do? Spikes/noise to ground or summat?

Fank yoo.

DTB
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Its just there to provide a low impedance path to ground for RF. 0.1uf should be fine.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick wrote:Its just there to provide a low impedance path to ground for RF. 0.1uf should be fine.
Ah, thank you Mr G,

It'll be sorted.

DTB
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Latest tweaks on the road to 'everything nicer than everything else' has the TJ's in being fed by the little 2.5V AC hammonds.

Awwww.... pretty.

Sounds like? I dunno, wish I could tell you, last nights listening session was interrupted by a visit from the bassist in son's band... nice but I was all set up for serious LP playing, bum.

Off to the Heathrow Show today, shall listen lots of stuff today then come home to mine.

What I can hear, and maybe this is down to my amp building and heater TX location is a smidge 'o' hum. It's just hearable in the listening position through the Fonkens but I need to address it. Hint's? I just fitted them into the most convenient place on the (small) bread board, I'll need to build a bigger one to fit my new o/p TX's on soon anyway. Filamnts being fed from either side of the CT'd heater TX with the CT itself being connected to the 750R in parallel with the bypass cap. No humbucking resistors or the like.

DTB
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Looking good!

It may not be heater hum ....

you could fit the heater transformers underneath; closer to the valves then.

I hope Heathreow doesn't give you a headache!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey wrote: you could fit the heater transformers underneath; closer to the valves then.
...ah yeah but no but etc etc etc. I need to mod the breadboard severely to get the heater TX's underneath, but yes I will do that in wee while.

Found out today that JJ GZ24's are not all that good (just like y'all said). During dinnertime DHTski got a handsome Hammond 374 today to facilitate valve rectification via GZ34. Powered up the whole PSU into a resistive load as I didn't have the actual amp with me at work and voila... 300V DC into a 2K load dummy load (150mA) which I guestimated I'd need no problems. Powered down, made a few final fixings and cable tidying... powered up again and there it was, Vesuvius in a glass envelope :shock: Eeek. Chronic flash-over on 2nd HT application. Boo, poo pants.

Swapped JJ GZ34 for a Sovtek equiv residing in 6EM7, no problems.

Anyway, back home tonight and connected to the current version of DHTski I find I need to do a little bit of cap twiddlage to up the HT a smidge, 20V would be nice. HT sits at 280-ish with no tweak cap. 2.5uF gives 310V, that close enough or am I being over protective of my swanky new mesh plates?

Looks like this tonight...

DTB