Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

What people are working on at the moment
steve s
Shed dweller

#76 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by steve s »

All the best with the treatment James
There's a lot of luck with cancer and I hope you get plenty of it..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
JamesD
Old Hand

#77 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by JamesD »

indeed! The stats are in my favour quite heavily but reality isn't statistics and every stage of this has fatal outcomes for some people... Reality is that you have to be invested in the stats when they are in your favour as optimism is known to influence outcomes so there is everything to play for...

I've know and have meet several people who have got through this and lived full lives for decades... I keep that firmly in the front of my mind...

Thanks for all of your support! It all helps.
Thanks Paul for your forbearance
ciao

James
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#78 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Paul Barker »

James I have learned a few things I didnt know most of my life which both help in the fight against cancer. But it depends on youre other medical situation whether you can do them. But I hope you dont mind me saying. #1 is Sauna, #2 is fasting (doesnt have to be any religious conitations to fast, thats optional.)

How they help fight cancer is same two factors, Increased Growth Hormone production, and Stem cells production. When a person is on chemo, the target is the cancer but the host (you and me) body is also attacked by the chemo. The medics hope and with some cancers theyre on a wing amd a prayer at this point the host survives the chemo. Increased stem cell production gives the host a better fighting chance because youre stem cells only produce the dna of the host, not the dna of the cancer, strengthening the host resources to rebuild the “normal” bodies cells, and gives no support to the cancer cells.

Rhonda Fitspatric did her phd research on this, and she drawers mainly from a study in Norway on what happened to men who sauna compared to men that didnt. It has many other benefits than stimulating producing stem cells, most notable cardiovascular improvements which mirror the benefits of excercise, by just sitting in the sauna.

The people who promote fasting give about the same benefits of growth hormone and stem cells. I dont know where the growth hormone comes in, but non of them seem to go into the benefits of that, its just tossed out there as “a thing”.

Obvs depends on youre other medical conditions whether or not you can do either.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
JamesD
Old Hand

#79 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by JamesD »

Paul,
Many thanks for that info. I was aware of the stem cell importance and its quite tightly linked to white blood cell production - which is rather important for maintaining resistance to infection when undergoing chemo. After each session of chemo they give you a course of a stem cell drug to boost white blood cell production - interestingly this drug was originally developed to help fight Aids before being adopted in other fields and clearly a benefit for dealing with chemo...

I would assume the growth hormone production combats the weight loss, muscle loss and skin thinning that the chemo causes - I'll ask at the hospital next visit.

I have to praise the NHS - as soon as my doctor raised the possibility of cancer the NHS has been very proactive and pushed through a very thorough scanning and diagnostics programme and then straight into chemo. The consultants, doctors and nursing and support staff have all been fantastic and caring without exception and that is marvellous giving the sustained pressure they are under. I know I live in Yorkshire where the people are naturally much more supportive and caring than down south but it still has been exceptional care. Not having a go at people down south but the pace of life down there comes at a cost and I was part of that too so its based on personnel observation and experience.

I can use a sauna for short periods - fatigue is one thing we have to be careful of so short sessions would be OK. Fasting is something I would have to check on as weight loss and appetite reduction are things I have to fight as I also have diabetes type 2 and that is affected adversely by the chemo too although mine seems to be getting more moderate as I lose weight against the normal chemo expectation.

Thank you for your info and for taking the time to do it. As always here is a great place with great people. I just wish I understood why my ability to communicate goes away for periods of time... My wife tells me that some days I have spoken less than ten words! It was a problem at work except I could still draw so I could still produce the diagrams needed to keep projects going and I could edit documents but not create the originals... Strange how ones mind work....

ciao

James
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#80 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Paul Barker »

yes James the battle for the mind is on at such times. The fasting with type 2 (late onset) diabetes probably not appropriate but check with youre team. Yes I understand sauna is a trial, thats how I see it too. Go figure, some people act like they enjoy going to the spa, I just see Mrs Trunchpole locking me in the Chokey start to finish when Im in the Sauna. I dont enjoy it and dont get that view on it at all! while Im strong I endure it. Thats as far as my pleasure goes about Spas, its a bunch of different torchure rooms to me too. But Im managing it allthough I really do have to guard myself from just walking out after not very long. Little is better than non I suppose.

However the cardiovascular effect of sauna, which simply occurs because of youre raised heart rate for the duration, I am seeing improvements. Yesterday sat listening to beautiful music on the 801@ amp I thought Id just check my resting heart rate. 63 bpm for aged 64 I imagine its good that. But even under stress its now pretty much that of a younger me. In A and E having my bare skin debrided without local or any other anaesthetic or pain relief, I was telling the A and E consultant doing the debriding, what’s my heart rate, Ive got it down to the 60’s at rest. He looked at monitor and said “its 65 at the moment” Ill take that!

So thoughh it might be a mountain, I cant see any harm from you attending sauna for some time at least, but you know how and when you might be ready for that. Worth watching a utube Rhonda Patric does on it though in the mean time.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#81 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Nick »

Yep good luck with it James. What I have noticed as i get older is we assume that medical science stands still at the point we last used it. But every time I have to make use of it I am always pleased to see just how fast things change for the better.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#82 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by ed »

all the very best wishes James
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Greg
Social outcast

#83 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Greg »

ed wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:44 pm all the very best wishes James
And from me too.
JamesD
Old Hand

#84 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by JamesD »

Thanks Guys, really appreciate the good wishes.

ciao
James