Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

What people are working on at the moment
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#61 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Paul Barker »

Star ground on earth tags of input phono’s and I’ll sling a coper bus between them only a few cm, all earthing should attach ok there; chassis well grounded. B+ comes in as before on RF coms leed with pl259 termination plugs into so239 chassis mount. As with the 630v b+ for the 801a. I might unplug the 5r4’s sub in silicone diodes and put b+ transformer for 801 on a variac for test. Cant do the variac with 5r4’s as the filament supply would go lower than 1/2 voltage as I need 335v for Raymond.

I have a pair of 250 VA 400v transformers for the final power supply. 625 mA b+ per channel, effectively monoblocked, even if in same case. Edit: just realised a second 239 for future when own power supply is built. Just in time. The mind is working better today.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#62 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Paul Barker »

All inputs and outputs fitted. Dual b+ as a provision for mono lock supply if and when. Bridge them until…..

Realise now would make all fixinghole and wash case clean first, before anything mounted. Live and learn.

Good progress anyway considering I’m climbing out of a hole. Done my pull-ups and other excercise, done a bit of this. Now off to Sauna. Building myself back together. A number of minor victories.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#63 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Paul Barker »

OK so im now really struggling with pain and not able to function with work, and now its impacted on my amp building. So I remembered about the dc 336v Cisco Power supply I built for the 6b4g push pull amp I brought to an Owston. The power supply is all that remains, dusted it off and tested it. 336v.

I had to get this link from Waybackmachine, and I cant find any of the spin off page which gave the important details of building the power supply. I vaguely recall you have to lift a tant cap on the output to ground, just like you used to see on vr chips circuit diagrams. Ill be able to reverse engineer the one I built to check this. Its the only thing not shown in the image. If you wanted to replace the caps youd have to use voltage appropriate caps. The tants were probably 100v 1 uF most likely. I think I just snipped a leg.

So really, all I now have to do is hook up the signal section, but Im a useless wet rag when in pain!
Paul Barker

#64 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Paul Barker »

Obviously this is just to reduce pressure on me. But itll probably sound good as a power supply. I think the 6b4g amp held its corner.

Like I said before I have a neat pair of 400v 250 watt power transformers lined up for when I have a matching pair of suitable choke input chokes, which Ill probably have to build myself with a cosh hold over my head if transfers to ebay sellers are seen by her indoors. Now were all on internet banking the bank send her notifications in a minute by minute notification stream day and night. Makes you more resourseful, but this time i. our favour, I wouldnt have considered this power supply but with an output impedance of 10 ohms with 300+ milliamp behind it the bass wont be light.
JamesD
Old Hand

#65 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by JamesD »

Hi Paul,
Really wishing you well. I can relate to how your feeling - yours and everyone else's posts have kept me going through my illness - finally got it diagnosed as cancer of the oesophagus, my turn to go through it, and undergoing chemo to kill it before the op to remove it - really good prognosis but its a fight to get there... hopefully by mid summer I'll be free of it... Of course it knocks out my ability to communicate.

Meanwhile enjoying watching your progress and admiring your ability to keep going with the different builds. I really like PP 6b4Gs driven via an pp IT transformer... Ralph comes to mind...

I hope you have a quick and good recovery - more strength to your elbow!!!

very best wishes

James
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#66 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Cressy Snr »

Wishing you well James.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
JamesD
Old Hand

#67 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by JamesD »

Thanks Steve! Really enjoying your amps too and planning an e-linear some time!
andrew Ivimey

#68 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hi James, very sorry but I admire your positive attitude. All the VERY best. Onwards!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#69 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by IslandPink »

All the best for sure, James - and good to hear from you too !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#70 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Dave the bass »

^^^ What they all said plus one! Oh yeah, and 'awkwind and Stacia! :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Paul Barker

#71 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Paul Barker »

Best wishes for youre recovery James, bummer!
Paul Barker

#72 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Paul Barker »

So I’ve climbed out of my head in sand stage, spent 2hrs on the signal section. Only managed to dress one opts leed outs. Lengthening them and started connecting that channel, just put primary to cathode cathode to + of bias volts displayed on front, and that’s it for today. All the bearing back soldering and triple shrink wrapping transformer extenders twisting and pulling through 20mm electric open grommets. It’s a start and no mistakes made! In my prime I’d have done whole amp and listened to it in a day.
JamesD
Old Hand

#73 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by JamesD »

Thanks for all the good wishes Chaps. I have missed the conversation but it was beyond my capabilities for a while.

Paul, sorry to hijack part of your thread! But wanted to let you know that I really appreciate your efforts...

ciao

James
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#74 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Ali Tait »

All the very best James, we’ll see you at the next Owston.
Paul Barker

#75 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Paul Barker »

Im delighted with youre communication's James