What should we do about rising energy prices?

Subjects that don't have their own home
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#106 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by vinylnvalves »

No we just have an old fashioned hot water tank which is heated to 80 degs by thermal solar and or PV. Its not a buffer tank. It’s the inconsistencies in the UKGov strategies - people in period properties could get a grant, for there very inefficient properties, but us in an Edwardian property with cavities cannot which annoy me.
I agree heat pumps aren’t a panacea for all and will cost people a lot more, maybe a rural property not on mains gas it is comparable costs to oil to have a heat pump in a leaky old house.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#107 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by vinylnvalves »

With today’s announcement on price rises, the cost of running d class amps, will be more than the stylus wear costs on a SLC cartridge, per hour, luckily I fixed my prices until April 2024, otherwise I would need to assess whether I need 4x 400w for the LF drivers.....
Neal
Shed dweller

#108 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Neal »

Probably a question for Jack(Nick), We are considering investing in a battery storage system to accompany our Solar panels. I know diddly squat about the ins and outs of these systems other than they can be charged by our Solar panels and overnight on economy 7 and will power our heavy use appliances when the sun isn’t shining. But what are the pros and cons? The upfront investment may be a bit of a challenge for us at the moment but in the long term batteries could save us money…
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#109 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by vinylnvalves »

I have just gone around installing batteries, they will only pay when you have a variable tariff, or can sell energy back at peak times for an inflated price. We are having 16.4kwh or storage put in for £6.5k. Currently on our fixed tarrif until 2024 we won't save money, with a 10year life, however if we can change to octopus or similar, then yes you can easily make them pay, buying all your energy at an off peak rate.
Other thing to watch out for is the user interface, cheaper UPS batteries with a poor interface won't allow you to maximise their use.
Neal
Shed dweller

#110 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Neal »

Thanks, my initial google research this afternoon is leading me to replace our existing inverter and replace it with a Solis Hybrid one which will charge the batteries on the DC side. I like the look of the Pylon tech batteries as they are modular and can be expanded as and when you like….the price is also very competitive.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#111 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by vinylnvalves »

Depending on the size of your PV system and how much your going to feed into the grid, the Tesla power wall maybe an option as they pay over a 100% more than the best of the rest, but it’s exclusive to Tesla, but there batteries are a lot more expensive, need to do your sums. We are having Givenergy batteries fitted, as the front end is meant to be easy to use. There are a number of YouTube videos on systems from one guy who tests systems he says the pylontech ones is the best route with some third party controller. I wanted Ip65 rated batteries to go in the workshop, which were thin and mount straight to the wall, the opposite of pylontech, which mount in a 19” rack.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#112 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by vinylnvalves »

If you have an existing feed in tariff, you will lose it if you alter the system. So you need to factor an additional 15% rectification losses, going from ac to dc and back again, of an additional inverter.
Neal
Shed dweller

#113 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Neal »

Hmmmm I don’t think that is true. If you alter the capacity by adding panels then yes…but that’s limited by the inverter so the total capacity would remain the same if the inverter remained at the same capacity. Adding an AC battery option could be problematic as it would add capacity to the existing installation.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#114 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by vinylnvalves »

Your generation meter from which your Tarrif is determined is after rectification, so you need another inverter to deal with the battery. In my system where additional panels are being fitted on the west roof ( also saves VAT on the batteries), I will end up with 3 inverters. With one off them being a hybrid one. They are also fitting another meter so, I can charge for actual feed in, not a factored rate. Our system will be 7.9 kWh with the new panels.
Neal
Shed dweller

#115 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Neal »

vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#116 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by vinylnvalves »

The article doesn’t mention about your generation tariff, depends when your system was fitted, mine was 2012, so I get 53p for each kw I generate and I also get paid for those kw’s I export. Yes the smart meter can do the later but not the former. The challenge with a hybrid inverter, it would not know what had been imported and what was charged off the PV in the batteries. I suppose to many systems to generalise. I work with a guy who has a meter which runs backwards when he feeds into grid, so whether its supposed to or not he will be getting 52p in October, compared to the 5p from EON.
Neal
Shed dweller

#117 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Neal »

Thanks, ours where fitted around the same time as yours, we are on the same FiT tariff. Lots to think about, AC storage is looking the way to go for its flexibility and as you said it won’t touch the existing installation.
Max N
Old Hand

#118 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Max N »

We are looking at getting solar installed. Would appreciate comments about the kit that has been recommended - it all seems pretty good but a few of you are obviously pretty clued up so I thought I would just check:
Hyundai 370W REC black panels ground mounted
Solaredge 10kW inverter, meter, optimisers
Tesla Powerwall plus gateway
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#119 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by vinylnvalves »

I am no expert, just my experience of quotes and what I have. It’s the system not the individual components, each installer will have their preferences. Only comment will be on the power wall, nice wall art - you pay a lot for the Tesla name, and there is a long waiting time to get one.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#120 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by jack »

Some of you may find this interesting. The UK Workshop forum is generally excellent and this thread is from a professional electrician:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/on ... ry.138482/

It's a technically good & well-reasoned discussion of his requirements, the available technologies, choices & rationale. I found it very educational.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt