Self service tills in shops.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Self service tills in shops.

Post by pre65 »

It seems (from what I have read) that self service tills in supermarkets are getting the "thumbs down" from many shoppers.

Personally, I hate them and much prefer to deal with a real person.

What about other forum members ?

PS I feel the same about using machines in Banks.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Self service tills in shops.

Post by IslandPink »

Yes, I'm with you on this.
I've always felt that if I'm using one of those, I ought to get a discount for doing the work myself.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#3 Re: Self service tills in shops.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I rather like them. In reality rather than if there were fully manned (personned) checkouts, having to wait on a seemingly never diminishing queue can be incredibly painful and stressful and there is never anyone able or willing to discuss anything worthwhile.

With self checkouts you are in and out, as is one's credit/charge card, and back out into the splendid fresh air and sunshine, efficiently. How hard is that!?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#4 Re: Self service tills in shops.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Every supermarket I go in as increased the amount of self service tills, thats Asda,sainsburies and Morrisons and booths.

Exception is Aldi/Lidl who don’t use them at all
andrew Ivimey

#5 Re: Self service tills in shops.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

My very positive experiences of Aldi and Lidl checkout staff is that they are always friendly and polite so worth the wait, so to speak.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Self service tills in shops.

Post by IslandPink »

Do you have to wait, down in Bedford ?
There's usually only 1 or 2 in the queue in Morrisons Denbigh, if the staff haven't wandered off.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey

#7 Re: Self service tills in shops.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Fraid so.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#8 Re: Self service tills in shops.

Post by Ray P »

Self-service is great, really quick and efficient. I go the whole hog and scan as I shop so once I've put something in my trolley it stays there until I load it into the car (I pack as I go too, so only have to lift the bags into the car). I do one shop a week; I leave the house at about 06:30 on a Saturday morning and I'm always back indoors enjoying a coffee by 07:30 - the self-service checkout part of the process (for a shop of around £100+) takes less than a couple of minutes.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
andrew Ivimey

#9 Re: Self service tills in shops.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

That's a habit I picked up during covid shopping trips. Very happy to continue.
shane
Social outcast

#10 Re: Self service tills in shops.

Post by shane »

We’re lucky to have a brilliant farm shop near us which caters for our food and consumables, and for pretty much everything else we use the internet. As a result, I haven’t been into a supermarket since Feb ‘20 until a couple of weeks ago.

It’s amazing how alien and unfriendly they seem when you’ve got out of the habit. The farm shop is more expensive, certainly, but not as much as you might expect, and we don’t end up making those impulse purchases that supermarkets do everything to encourage so even on a modest income we don’t end up any worse off.

Shan’t be going back in a hurry.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#11 Re: Self service tills in shops.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I long for the time I can shop in artisan shops , but with six to feed - alas .
Michael L
Old Hand

#12 Re: Self service tills in shops.

Post by Michael L »

I won't use self service tills. WH Smiths offer no alternative at airports - don't use the shops.
Paul Barker

#13 Re: Self service tills in shops.

Post by Paul Barker »

Sainsburies I scan on way round then point device at screen on seperate gated section. Quickest of all. Tesco if there’s a checkout staff twiddling their thumbs, I go to them to keep them employed. Lidle I self checkout. Their manned outlets always question long never join that queue. Aldi no self checkout long ques and frustrated competitive shoppers ails blocked a lot.

Continental shops manned and friendly face always smile at seeing a white guy in their shop. I buy plantain ochra scotch binned and seeds sometimes chipatie ready made. Oh and Ghee. Tesco do ghi too a £1 on club card.

I have to shop in multiple shops to get what everyone wants. Sam has jersey creamy milk but non homogenised. Which is Tesco, Sainsburies have grahams but usually homogenised. Diamond green top from anywhere. Naomi when home has least fat milk. I drink whatever’s left!

I walk to all them shops for fitness and carry load balanced to not aggravate back pain. Lucky to live where all them shops in walking distance. Always walk to gym. Makes not sense at all driving to gym, unless it’s too far. Like further than half hour walk.

As a teen I hade Bruce lee book and he advocated parking away from shop and walking some of way. No one in USA seems to have read that book, they drive to end of drive to get mail and paper even.

I nasal breathe on them walks, humming on exhale if no one near enough because in our society there’s no explanation. Humming is to stimulate nitric oxide harvesting from sinuses.

My autistic place makes me this way.

People don’t like me for it but I’m healthier than them. There is a good reason for what I’d do.

My last job was fixing boiler for a 70 year old with adhd and torrets and diabetes diet controlled. Him and his wife were opposite type of autism. They did everything wrong and kept shouting **** . I was so stressed after the clash of spectrums.

This is a serious issue! Not all disability is visible.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Michael L
Old Hand

#14 Re: Self service tills in shops.

Post by Michael L »

Are those using self service tills enabling supermarkets to employ fewer staff? I feel this is the case and part of my reason for not using them.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: Self service tills in shops.

Post by pre65 »

Mind you, we all got used to serving ourselves at petrol stations.

Is anyone else old enough to remember pre self service food shopping ?

I can just remember things like putting sugar into bags, and patting butter with wooden patters. And the bacon / meat slicer. :)

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)