I need the use of a good cassette deck -- anyone?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Irene Idler
User

#1 I need the use of a good cassette deck -- anyone?

Post by Irene Idler »

Yes, yes, I know. But I made a lot of demos (and one tape I sold a few hundred copies of) on cassette back in the 80s, and I'd like to transfer them into digital form before they degrade any further, particularly because a lot of my friends have worn out their copies (!) and are begging for replacements. Also, I've actually flat out forgotten some of my own songs, and I'd rather not lose them forever.

The problem: we only have one cassette deck, and it's absolute pants. For a few years I've been asking Mr. Idler about buying a used deck of better quality. Being him, he basically sneers at anything other than a Nakamichi, and it never seems to be enough of a priority to spend that much on, so... yeah. I'm losing patience.

We're not talking audiophile stuff! These were recorded in a variety of bedrooms on cheap consumer-grade decks using bodged together recording setups and stage mics with socks in place of pop shields. They're pretty decent for what they are because I was meticulous, but they're nothing special except to my remaining fans (!) and me.

If anyone's got a decent (for cassette) deck that they'd be willing to lend me so I can salvage the only recordings of myself to which I actually own all the rights, I would be much obliged.
"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman
ed
retired

#2 Re: I need the use of a good cassette deck -- anyone?

Post by ed »

I had exactly the same need about 3 years ago. After attending the funeral of a chum who I was in a band with in the early 70s, his brother asked if I had any tapes of the band. I had to resort to buying a deck off ebay to transcribe to CD.

I think I still have the deck, it's nothing special, but you're welcome to it for the postage if I can find it.

If you're interested I'll go and have a rummage.

edit: post rummage....it's a Goodmans GSW20, probably not up to what you're after.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ant
Shed dweller

#3 Re: I need the use of a good cassette deck -- anyone?

Post by Ant »

Ive only got a crap marantz twin tape deck which you are welcome to, im not sure it works though i havent got any tapes to check it with.

Im saying a crap tape deck, but ive never used it so it might not actually be crap

If i may make a suggestion, the yamaha kx393 it a pretty good tape deck, its the only late tape deck ive used and it was actually quite good for the money as tape decks go.

It aint a nak, but it wasnt bad
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Irene Idler
User

#4 Re: I need the use of a good cassette deck -- anyone?

Post by Irene Idler »

ed wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:05 pm edit: post rummage....it's a Goodmans GSW20, probably not up to what you're after.
Thanks for the offer, Ed, but I think I'm going to hold out for something at least as good as the decks I originally recorded on (which isn't great, but better than Goodmans).
Ant wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:04 pm Ive only got a crap marantz twin tape deck which you are welcome to, im not sure it works though i havent got any tapes to check it with.

Im saying a crap tape deck, but ive never used it so it might not actually be crap

If i may make a suggestion, the yamaha kx393 it a pretty good tape deck, its the only late tape deck ive used and it was actually quite good for the money as tape decks go.

It aint a nak, but it wasnt bad
I mean, Marantz isn't usually crap. That's a better deck than the ones I recorded on. Is it set up for metal tape?

The Yamaha looks good, and is actually properly cheap on eBay, which is a bonus. I'll ask Dave what he thinks, since he's the hardware guy around here (except when it comes to PC builds). The one we've got is a Denon and it's both terrible and flaky.

My friend MixerMark recommended a Tascam 122, but those are going for £2k all these years later! I'm pretty sure I'm not talking Dave into that. :D
"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman
Ant
Shed dweller

#5 Re: I need the use of a good cassette deck -- anyone?

Post by Ant »

Ill dig the marantz out and have a look at it, its been in the loft for years
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
shane
Social outcast

#6 Re: I need the use of a good cassette deck -- anyone?

Post by shane »

Back in my HiFi selling days in the 80s Denon always seemed to offer the best mid-range machines for reasonable prices. Just checked eBay and there seem to be plenty at around £50.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#7 Re: I need the use of a good cassette deck -- anyone?

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Well, we just decided to do it properly and bought a Nak DR-2.

Now I need a decent A to D converter that'll support 96kHz transfers - any recommendations? Would like to keep the cost to less than £150 if possible.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Nick
Site Admin

#9 Re: I need the use of a good cassette deck -- anyone?

Post by Nick »

Well I would have suggested this at £40:

But it will only give you 48k Sample rate, though I would have expected that would have been more than enough for transfer from cassette. But if you want 96k or more, then this at £85:

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#10 Re: I need the use of a good cassette deck -- anyone?

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Thanks all - we decided in the end to go for this as it also has some features which will come in handy if Meredith and I want to start recording.

A little over-budget but not by too much.

https://motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/m2/
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets