Latest 300b valves

If they glow, this is the place to be
Rexton
User

#1 Latest 300b valves

Post by Rexton »

Guys, I need a new pair of 300b's but I'm stuck with respects to which is best out of the new variants. Do you have any experience or suggestions?
Rexton
User

#2 Re: Latest 300b valves

Post by Rexton »

Tumbleweed ….. a dearth of replies.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Latest 300b valves

Post by pre65 »

HotRox have a selection.

How much do you want to spend ?

The cost effective favourites used to be Electro-Harmonix 300b gold.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: Latest 300b valves

Post by Nick »

Yep, the problem is what you regard "best" as meaning.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#5 Re: Latest 300b valves

Post by simon »

It's perhaps 10+ years since anyone here was playing with 300Bs. I stopped after a rather unfortunate incident with a KR300BXLS one Christmas eve :-(. This might explain the lack of replies?

How deep are your pockets? The Elrog 300Bs at £1345 a pair are reputed to be as good as it gets by some, though I suspect anyone paying that sort of money for valves would be convinced of their merit.

https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/elrog-er ... cba1185463
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Latest 300b valves

Post by IslandPink »

I don't know if KR's are still around, but I have nothing but good to say about mine - still going strong after over 10 years.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Rexton
User

#7 Re: Latest 300b valves

Post by Rexton »

Thanks. I'm already aware of Hotrox, Langrex, Watford valves etc. I've been using Golden Lion but the build quality is shocking. Just out of interest, what have people been playing with (valve wise)? I'm afraid I've been quite boring and only had experience with Ecc83's, EL34's, KT88's, 6SL7's, and 300b's. I'm always keen to see what the latest flavour of the month. :wink:
steve s
Shed dweller

#8 Re: Latest 300b valves

Post by steve s »

Px4 and px25 are my favourites, but I have a pair of stc 4300a, which sound better than most 300b that they have been pitched against
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#9 Re: Latest 300b valves

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've three 32bs which were the pre-cursors to the 3000bxs. Gave up using them or 300bxs, or EHGG300Bs or Shiagangs for GM70s - just can't go wrong.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: Latest 300b valves

Post by pre65 »

Yes, GM70 or GK71 are well worth a try.

If you are brave then 833a (GU48) could be interesting. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#11 Re: Latest 300b valves

Post by Nick »

Personally if you feel bravery is needed, it means there is uncontrolled risk. Never a good idea IMHO. If you need the power a 833 can give you probably have the wrong speakers. If you are just making the same power a gm70 will, then a gm70 will be cheaper and need far less compromise in output tx and power supply. Gm70 is in a nice spot between a 211 and 845 and cheaper than both.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#12 Re: Latest 300b valves

Post by Ali Tait »

As far as 300b at a sane price are concerned I don’t think you can go wrong with JJ.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: Latest 300b valves

Post by IslandPink »

Don't forget GK-71 in triode, which needs a somewhat less B+ and is even cheaper. There's still the problem of the filament supply ... but the quality seemed to be better than my KR300B's when tried.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#14 Re: Latest 300b valves

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Sorry, only just seen this thread - I built a pair of 300B push-pull monoblocks in 2020 as a lockdown project, and they've been our main amps ever since.

I sourced the 300B's as matched pairs from here: https://brimaruk.com/valves/triodes/brimar-300b/

Now obviously these are re-branded Chinese-manufacture and I have no idea where they came from originally, possibly Shuguang? I also run them quite conservatively, IIRC about 60mA / 350V plate in line with Western Electric spec.

With those operating points, they have probably given us at least 4000 hours of service by now, and still going strong. Sound-wise they are wonderful. although full disclosure - I have not tried other 300B brands yet. But these seem reasonably solid, reliable and long-lived.

I'm one of very few people here still using the things - but I love them to pieces, the key thing is to drive them properly - 6SN7's won't do, they pretty much need a small power amp valve behind them - I have triode-connected 6V6's as driver valves in my design with a good 4dB+ headroom between driver and output stage. Many commercial designs don't do that so a lot of the time you're hearing a distorting driver stage, hence the 300B's sometimes poor reputation.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: Latest 300b valves

Post by Mike H »

Image Very interesting!

Just personally, have had best luck with GuiGuang, which became Psvane and much more expensive! Gold plated pins I think, black anodes. Been 'burned' with others that are sometimes nasty and don't last 5 minutes – once a quad of Svetlana's started failing before I could pay off the credit card! More recently my preferred alternative is 801A originally bought from Langrex (but he doesn't seem to do them anymore), but I see they're stupid money now as well! (Just checked, eBay etc.) :shock: Yikes...

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."