Owston ( now darios) what are you bringing

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#16 Re: Owston ( now darios) what are you bringing

Post by Ray P »

Cheers Chris. I'll check out whether the amp will appreciate a 4ohm load.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#17 Re: Owston ( now darios) what are you bringing

Post by Tony Moore »

I can also bring along my Douglas Self Trimodal amp again if we're short on amplification?
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#18 Re: Owston ( now darios) what are you bringing

Post by Mike H »

Mike H wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:23 pm :lol:

Don't worry I'm also bringing dodgy DIY speakers. :lol:

For a laugh I could also bring a pair of Rogers bookshelfs that my uncle left me, he had a joinery business with a couple of partners and they made them. They have completely no bass. Quite bizarre!
I'm torking cobblers again I'm using them today, obviously haven't listened to them for a long while, they do do bass, the 'issue' (if it is an issue) was / is, a bass resonance which can get irritating, depending what's being played.

Memory eh? It can't be trusted! :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

#19 Re: Owston ( now darios) what are you bringing

Post by Nick »

All being well, I will bring the current incarnation of the DD turntable I have been working on for decades. And a phono stage.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
chris661
Shed dweller

#20 Re: Owston ( now darios) what are you bringing

Post by chris661 »

Mike H wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:09 pm
I'm torking cobblers again I'm using them today, obviously haven't listened to them for a long while, they do do bass, the 'issue' (if it is an issue) was / is, a bass resonance which can get irritating, depending what's being played.

Memory eh? It can't be trusted! :D
Bring them along, Mike. I'll stick the measurement mic on them and see if we can track it down.

Since it looks like there'll be a few extra sources, I'll bring the big Crown amp and those Fostex monitors so there's something spare to plug things into.

Chris
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#21 Re: Owston ( now darios) what are you bringing

Post by Tony Moore »

That Crown amp sounded pretty good last time i heard it.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#22 Re: Owston ( now darios) what are you bringing

Post by vinylnvalves »

Last night seemed to have channel dropping out on my amp…. Fixed it by turning the amp on and off…. Got a spare module, for some surgery if necessary. Typical…. So many protection circuits on the amps , hard to determine the cause. Will put a multimeter and some other tools in the car.
chris661
Shed dweller

#23 Re: Owston ( now darios) what are you bringing

Post by chris661 »

If your DSP/DAC is external (ie, you can feed outputs elsewhere), you're welcome to borrow the afore-mentioned Crown, or the Powersoft amps I'll be bringing. The latter have DSP baked-in, so the Crown is probably preferable.

Chris
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#24 Re: Owston ( now darios) what are you bringing

Post by vinylnvalves »

Thanks.. Chris

Just packing stuff up - realised I haven’t got any Speakon to spade cables, for the second speakers. Have you got any Speakon fly leads?

It’s going to be a struggle to fit it all in the car……
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#25 Re: Owston ( now darios) what are you bringing

Post by Mike H »

chris661 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:39 pm Bring them along, Mike. I'll stick the measurement mic on them and see if we can track it down.
That might be interesting. Personally I think it's down to porting. Which is a simple tube in the back. Looking down the tubes they seem to be well stuffed as well, with what appears to be foam rubber, but I doubt it is, would have perished to dust long go.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."