Hi from MistyBlue

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
MistyBlue
User

#1 Hi from MistyBlue

Post by MistyBlue »

Hi everyone, thanks for accepting me. I will hang around and get a feel for this place before I start boring you with my stuff. :D
"When we're about to do something stupid, we like to catalogue the full extent of our stupidity, for future reference." - Commander Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#2 Re: Hi from MistyBlue

Post by Tony Moore »

Welcome!

You will not bore anyone. 8)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#3 Re: Hi from MistyBlue

Post by Paul Barker »

Welcome
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
MistyBlue
User

#4 Re: Hi from MistyBlue

Post by MistyBlue »

Thanks guys,

I got into this whole audio thing when I was a teenager, messing with tape decks and amplifiers, not really knowing what I was doing., but I was intrigued by the whole thing. I traded a late 80s "midi" hifi system I had with a school friend for a Selmer bass and treble 30 guitar amp which I then spent a happy summer at my grandparents' getting working. I was discouraged by my Dad (somewhat understandedly), who was worried I would electrocute myself - he took it off my hands and gave it to a work collegue who was into electronics. I think it was EL506 PP output stage.

I remember a boy at school (who was a bit naughty) had nicked an issue of HiFi World out of one of the local news agents, and I begged him to give it to me when he had finished reading it. It had a review of the Quad ESL63s in it - I think it was sometime in 1991. I later started getting HiFi World for the DIY supplements and still have them in a lever arch folder along with some Glass Audio issues that had interesting articles in it. My current amplifier is from Glass Audio - KISMET 2A3SE, slightly modded to the standard textbook 2.5K Primary, 250V, 60mA.

I remember bugging my Mum about some speakers (must have been about 16/17), who drove me to meet Ivan Leslie (IPL Acoustics) at his house in Westbury, and I spent the afternoon listening to music. My Mum was bored out of her mind, but I loved it. I left there with a flatpack kit of some of his Audax A2s with 6.5" HDA drivers which I built and from then on my fate was sealed. They stayed with me until I gave them away to a friend many years later after being given a pair of Tannoy Windsors from a house clearance that had the foam surrounds rotted out. At the time I also had built a pair of Lowther back loaded horns that I had designed (like the Big Fun Horn, but an exponential horn) to be as big as the corner of my room could take.

Just recently I've got back into the whole audio thing again after getting persuaded to go for another speaker build and then I stumbled across the RTZ/PCM2DSD thing. So more fun ahead.

I could waffle on for hours, but I'll leave it there for the mo.
"When we're about to do something stupid, we like to catalogue the full extent of our stupidity, for future reference." - Commander Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
andrew Ivimey

#5 Re: Hi from MistyBlue

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Lilac too?!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
MistyBlue
User

#6 Re: Hi from MistyBlue

Post by MistyBlue »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:34 pm Lilac too?!
Maybe...... :wink:
andrew Ivimey

#7 Re: Hi from MistyBlue

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Never to grow old ?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
MistyBlue
User

#8 Re: Hi from MistyBlue

Post by MistyBlue »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:32 pm Never to grow old ?
No, and I don't plan on growing up any time soon either. :bounce:
Greg
Social outcast

#9 Re: Hi from MistyBlue

Post by Greg »

Golden Rose
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
andrew Ivimey

#10 Re: Hi from MistyBlue

Post by andrew Ivimey »

the colour of a dream I had, not so long ago

dear oh dear!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: Hi from MistyBlue

Post by pre65 »

MistyBlue wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:40 am
That's a wonderful attitude, I applaud you. :)

The trick is knowing when you have to act grown up.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
MistyBlue
User

#12 Re: Hi from MistyBlue

Post by MistyBlue »

pre65 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:55 am
MistyBlue wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:40 am
That's a wonderful attitude, I applaud you. :)

The trick is knowing when you have to act grown up.
Funnily enough, my Mum always said I was good at acting up. :)